HOW TO CLEAR COOKIES ON A COMPUTER IN CHROME AND SAFARI?
FUNCTIONALITY OF COOKIES
They can have many functions such as keeping track of a user’s browsing activity in order to serve up targeted information such as ads for goods or services. This is why when you’re browsing Amazon for a Halloween costume for your dog you might see ads for more dog costumes on Facebook later that day. Cookies can also have simple functions like remembering your login details for a specific website such as Facebook so that you can close out of it and then reopen it again later without having to log back in again. Cookies can also allow website owners to track exactly how many unique visitors they’re getting to them, so, website owners can collect more accurate data about their website traffic.
WHY TO CLEAR COOKIES?
Here are some reasons due to which it is important to delete cookies from your browser often.
- Security threat: cookies pose some serious security threats, which leads to the hacking of user’s personal data.
- Slowing down of browser: in the beginning, when you visit a website, the pages you visited, will be saved on you hard drive. When you keep visiting this site, computer will save the information about your session, which makes the browser to load faster. But Over time cookies stack up and can make your computer slower.
- They store personal information: They can get all those little pieces of personal information so every so often you should clear them out.
- You have to use a shared computer: sometimes you have to use a shared computer in your college, office or some net café. Cookies remember the sites and pages you have visited and the next person ho log in after you, can have an access to your personal data. So it’s a good idea to delete cookies and browser history after you have finished.
HOW TO DELETE COOKIES?
Here is the procedure by which we can clear cookies from:
CHROME: To clear cookies from your chrome browser, we must follow the following steps. On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More .
- Click More tools, Clear browsing data.
- At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
- Next to “Cookies and other site data” and “Cached images and files,” check the boxes.
- Click Clear data.
There is also a shortcut of deleting cookies if you are using browsers like Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge or Google Chrome. You can simply use this shortcut key to perform this function. The keyboard shortcut is ctrl+shift+delete.
iPhone: by clearing cookies on iPhone can help your phone’s browser run faster. It fixes the bugs and saves the space in your phone’s memory. This is how we remove cookies in iPhone:
1- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap “Safari.“
- Tap “Advanced” at the bottom of the page.
- On the Advanced page, tap “Website Data.” On the Website Data page, you can see the size of the cookie files for every website stored on your iPhone.
- To delete cookies for just certain sites, tap “Edit” and then tap the red icon to the left of the site’s name. Tap “Delete” to confirm your choice.
- To delete all your cookies at once, tap “Remove All Website Data” and confirm this by tapping “Remove Now” in the popup window.
CONS OF CLEARING COOKIES
While deleting cookies from your browsers is said to be really important, but it also comes with Cons which are as follows:
- The main disadvantage of clearing cookies is that you delete all your information saved in your device for example your email ids, passwords and website preferences. Now, you have to enter your details every time you need to log-in to a certain website.
- the ads or suggestions you receive would be more irrelevant. This means that websites show you targeted ads according to your online persona or your preferences that they create with the help of cookies, but once you clear all cookies, the website will start sending you any ads or suggestions which might not be of your interest. Thus, it might annoy you while browsing.
Internet cookies or more commonly known as http cookies have over all some useful aspects like they help the websites you have visited to remember you for future visits which saves your time, as you don’t have to type your information every time. But keeping its disadvantages in mind its preferable to clear the cookies form your device’s browser. It can help to improve the speed of your device, as deleting cookies can free up a lot of space. It’s also sometimes better to browse in a safe mode which does not allow to save information. But the users must know which cookies to accept and which should not be accepted. And if you accept cookies, you better delete them occasionally, especially when using some undependable sites.